Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it’s the TF-X: Amazing new flying car concept that can fit in a normal garage revealed.
The TF-X is the first fully autonomous flying car under development in Boston by Terrafugia. Its expected release date is listed as eight to twelve years.
Long before the futuristic vision of ‘Orbit City’ was unveiled in the Jetsons, flying cars captivated the world’s imagination. But so far, the goal of creating a working flying car has proved elusive.
Now, one company claims it is one step closer to making the technology a reality after releasing new designs for its revolutionary vehicle known as the TF-X.
- The vehicle will have a cruising speed of 200 mph (322 km/h), along with a 500 mile (805 km) flight range.
- TF-X will have fold-out wings with twin electric motors attached to each end.
- These motors allow the TF-X to move from a vertical to a horizontal position, and will be powered by a 300 hp engine.
- The planned four-person TF-X will be semi-autonmous and use computer-controlled so that passengers can simply type in a destination before taking off.
- TF-X vehicles will be capable of automatically avoiding other air traffic, bad weather, and restricted and tower-controlled airspace.
- The vehicle will be able to recharge its batteries either from its engine or by plugging in to electric car charging stations.
The video below shows the premier of the new Outer Mold Line for the TF-X™, Terrafugia’s vision for the future of personal transportation. The TF-X™ will be a four-seat, vertical takeoff and landing (VTOL) hybrid electric aircraft that makes flying easier and safer than ever before.