Ricardo-AEA is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
Adaptation at Ricardo-AEA
Climate is changing, and the impacts today and in the future bring both risks and some opportunities to the economy, society and the environment. Management of climate risks, planning and implementation of adaptation responses, and building resilience to extreme weather and future climate trends are increasingly featured in development programming and public policy in association with disaster risk reduction. These, and related, themes are also becoming important across business sectors, and in local communities.
For over 10 years, Ricardo-AEA has worked closely with clients to help them understand the implications of climate change, to develop strategies for adaptation and to monitor progress. We do this through tailored assessments of vulnerabilities, risks, and adaptation options, and by working closely with clients and their stakeholders and beneficiaries to build their capacity in adaptation and to integrate that knowledge into their specific contexts. We work in the public sector and for international agencies, to provide sound evidence and recommendations for policy, and then to turn policy into practice. We use our technical expertise to strengthen institutions and facilitate donor-stakeholder engagement. We use our public policy knowledge and experience to advise private sector clients as well.
Situated within Ricardo-AEA’s Energy and Climate Change Practice, our Adaptation Business Area is experienced and widely-respected, with a time-tested record of stakeholder trust and client confidence, and a strong mix of science, policy, capacity-building and project expertise.
The role is likely to include:
1. Winning work in the area of adaptation and climate resilience, through leading (and developing the content for) complex proposals to international agencies, financial institutions, European Commission, UK Government and/or other public or private customers.
2. Delivering high quality project work through technical and managerial contributions to Ricardo-AEA’s consultancy services in adaptation for a range of international clients, including a willingness to undertake short-term overseas visits.
3. Building and maintaining client and partner relationships, and raising the profile of Ricardo-AEA’s international adaptation services (e.g. at conferences and technical meetings), to expand our work in this business area.
4. Providing leading expertise in international adaptation to guarantee the quality of Ricardo-AEA’s work, to enhance Ricardo-AEA’s reputation as a thought leader on adaptation, and to mentor and develop other staff.
* Ability to lead or support teams in a rapidly evolving business environment
* Effective and proactive team worker, able to delegate effectively and support and develop peers
* Excellent oral and written communication skills, including report-writing
* Strong strategic thinking and problem analysis skills
* Strong presentation and facilitation skills
* Strong stakeholder management capability
* Able to work effectively on own initiative and to contribute to multiple workstreams at any one time
* Degree and preferably a postgraduate qualification in a relevant discipline
Successful candidates will demonstrate the following:
* Experience in delivery of consultancy studies to the public sector and/or related agencies and institutions in international or European contexts;
* Experience in writing successful bids to international agencies, governments, and/or other public or private sector clients.
* Excellent customer focus, and experience in partner liaison and wider stakeholder engagement
* Thorough working knowledge of concepts and approaches in adaptation, resilience, climate compatible development and/or DRR.
* Comprehensive understanding of (or at least familiarity with) international policy contexts (and key issues) for adaptation.
Successful candidates may offer some of the following:
* Existing relevant client and partner networks and relationships in South Asia, China, or Southern Africa
* Experience of leading multi-disciplinary multi-partner project teams
* Experience of adaptation strategy and implementation in urban contexts
* Expertise or practical experience in climate compatible development, DRR or international development
* Expertise in sectors related to sustainable development such as ecosystem services, water or agriculture
* Expertise in adaptation finance
* Expertise in monitoring and evaluation
* Expertise in economics and/or policy evaluation (quantitative and qualitative techniques)
* Experience of climate science, impacts modelling, climate data collection and analysis
* Experience in training, capacity building, and facilitation
* Experience in knowledge management and knowledge transfer
* Relevant professional memberships, training and/or qualifications
* Working knowledge of other languages will be an advantage
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo-AEA.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo-AEA is an equal opportunities employer.
Apply Online at Ricardo-AEA website