Atkins Wastewater Networks support water companies and a wide variety of other public and private sector clients in the UK and overseas, in the delivery of their capital and operational projects and programmes. An Assistant Engineer is needed to work in our Glasgow office to strengthen the delivery of drainage infrastructure projects. The core requirements of the role involve planning and design input into sustainable drainage and other drainage infrastructure projects, including CSO’s flooding projects, transportation drainage and surface water attenuation. The role will also include liaison with staff in other offices, clients and statutory authorities. The role may require the post holder to work away from their normal office and in client and other Atkins offices for extended periods.
- Honours Degree in Civil Engineering or related subject
- Competent in using IT including Word, Excel, Power-point, emails and the Internet.
- Able to produce technical reports in a clear and concise form.
- Able to communicate effectively with both colleagues and clients.
- Good presentational skills.
- Experience of AutoCAD would be advantageous
- Previous experience of drainage design would be advantageous
- Full UK driving licence as travel to a variety of office and site locations is a requirement of this role.
- Competence in the use of AutoCAD
- All-round experience of wastewater network engineering including the design and specification of gravity and pumped systems, CSO’s, flooding projects and attenuation
- Appreciation of the principles and objectives of Sustainable Drainage Systems (SUDS)
- First class written and oral communication skills including experience of preparing and delivering technical presentations to clients and/or professional audiences
- Hydraulic modelling – Windes Microdrainage
- Appreciation of recent legislation and standards which impact on the water industry and on wastewater network and SUDS design
- Experience of team working on multi-disciplinary projects including the use of web based technology for sharing on screen information
- Assist senior staff in the planning and design of wastewater networks projects including gravity and pumped networks, CSO’s, flooding projects, transportation drainage and sustainable drainage features.
- Undertake hydraulic designs of wastewater networks using appropriate software and maintain high levels of awareness and application of developments in software packages
- Liaison with clients and other outside organisations (e.g. SEPA, Building Control, Local Authority Planners, Water Authorities, Highways Agency, Network Rail etc.)
- Carrying out all tasks in accordance with Atkins Quality Assurance procedures.
The successful individual will be looking to develop professionally and will be looking to work towards chartered membership of an appropriate institution. He/she will be highly self motivated and proactive and will be able to demonstrate an ability to work closely with others in a variety of project roles. He/she will be knowledgeable about changes in the Water Industry and their implications on design and performance criteria. The successful candidate will have a demonstrable “can-do” attitude.
Atkins develops individuals through a portfolio of training and development activities designed to help you make the best of your abilities and talents. These are reviewed with individuals through an annual appraisal process. We actively support staff in achieving corporate membership of relevant institutions.
Apply online at Atkins website.